P=have O=don’t have it
50th Anniversary, Jewish National Fund
Inside #50: 1902 Jewish National Fund StampO
TABIM, National Stamp Exhibition
Inside #88-9: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
On envelope: Palestine #69P
On envelope: Israel #37P
On envelope: Israel #78P
Decade of Postal Activities in
Inside #150: Pseudo Stamp
Inside #329-32: Stamp on Envelope
Inside #C39: Pseudo Stamp
Israel’s Declaration of Independence
Inside #521a: Pseudo Stamp
Inside #530-1: Pseudo Stamp
(postponed from Dec. 1973)
Inside #532: Israel #7P..
Inside #533: Israel #8P..
Inside #534: Israel #9P..
International stamp exhibition
Does not every collector of Israel's stamps set his heart on obtaining the three top values of the Doar Ivri set the 250, 500 and 1000 in.? Now, twenty-five years later, the Israel Post Office has decided to help the collector realize his desire by reissuing the three stamps, albeit in the form of special miniature sheets in honour of "Jerusalem 73".
Just as the original Doar Ivri stamps renewed an ancient Jewish tradition and were devoted to ancient Hebrew coins, symbols of the independent Jewish State that existed two thousand years ago, so will these three miniature sheets issued to commemorate the second International Stamp Exhibition to be held in Israel provide the link with Israel's first stamps.
It is interesting to note that the three coins from the second, third, and fourth years of the country's independence bear a common inscription "Jerusalem the Holy". The three silver shekels show on one side a temple goblet (which is also depicted among the temple vessels on the Arch of Titus) and on the other, three pomegranates - the symbol of fertility. The silver shekel is the most famous of all Jewish coins -it gives expression to the concept first put forward by our ancient wise men and which is no less valid today, that economic independence - as symbolised by the minting of a national currency - must march in step with political freedom. A surprising feature of the coins is that the inscription is written in the old Hebrew script in spite of the fact that at the time of their minting this script had already given place to the square letters used to this very day. This fact demonstrates that consciousness of tradition beating in the hearts of our fighting forefathers who sought to "renew our days as of old" as they battled the Roman oppressor.
The history books can tell us nothing about the conditions under which the coins of the Great Jewish Revolt were minted. Fortunately, however, evidence has been preserved of the circumstances surrounding the preparation and printing of Israel's first stamps in 1948 - the haste and secrecy connected with the preparation of the designs by the artist Otte Wallish; the colour trials of the eight stamps produced on the "Haaretz" press in Tel Aviv; the collecting of a sufficient stock of paper obtained from all manner of unconventional sources, the setting- up of the printing press in the Kirya and the conspiratorial beginnings of the printing of the stamps even before the termination of the British Mandate.
A not unimportant factor which delayed the printing of the first stamps was the fact that the Jewish national leadership had not yet decided on a name for the nascent Jewish State - the stamps therefore bear the non-commital inscription "Doar Ivri" (Hebrew Post).
Since those days, millions upon millions of stamps proudly inscribed "Israel" have come off the printing presses but our very first stamps which do not bear this name will always have their special place in philatelic history and in the heart of every collector.
Jewish National Fund Stamps
Jewish National Fund Stamps Overprinted
Souvenir Sheet Dedicated to Jerusalem 73' Exhibition
Inside #???: Jewish National Fund Stamp 1946P
Inside #???: Jewish National Fund Stamp 1948P
Inside #???: Jewish National Fund Stamp 1944P
Inside #???: Jewish National Fund Stamp 1909P
Towards the end of the thirty years of British Mandate rule, on 13 April 1948, the Mandatory Postal Department issued instructions regarding the closure of the 15 post offices and postal agencies and the cessation of all their services between April and 5 May. The leadership of the settlement decided to act quickly to prevent the shutdown of postal and communication services to the Jewish settlement, which on the eve of the establishment of the state numbered about 650,000 people.
The period of the "Administration of the People" (leadership of the Yishuv), which was a period of transition between the Mandatory postal services and those of the State of Israel that was about to be established, began on May 2 and ended on May 14. During those two weeks, all the post offices used "People's Administration" stamps, which were in fact issued by the Jewish National Fund in addition to a car print of the word "mail" in various forms. At that time, the settlement's ransom labels and mandate stamps were also allowed to be used.
Two weeks before the end of the mandate, the People's Administration launched an action plan, the main ones being announcements to the Jewish public and postal workers about the intention to continue the postal arrangements in the format that was customary until then, inserting JNF stamps for temporary use and recognizing them as postage stamps for everything. "People's Administration" in the center of the stamp, and the name of the settlement on the margins.
This activity of the People's Administration took place on a regular basis in most parts of the country, and was reflected in the operation of 80 post offices, which in fact formed the basis for the intended appearance of "Doar Ivri" stamps and the establishment of the State of Israel.
The military struggle for the Hebrew state began even before the declaration of its independence. Remote areas were subject to Arab attacks and contact with many localities was severed and took place by air or through military convoys.
Under the leadership of the People's Administration, the local authorities decided on postal relations with besieged localities - Jerusalem, Safed and Nahariya - while issuing stamps and local postage stamps. A local stamp was also issued in Rishon Lezion, even though the city was not besieged.
The People's Administration "in these circumstances endeavored to provide postal services to the Jewish population," which at that time numbered about 650,000 people. And these are the main steps she took: On April 25 and 27, 1848, notices were issued to the public and instructions to the postal officials regarding the intention to continue providing postal services through Jewish workers using the Jewish National Fund stamps and special stamps. The tariffs and postal laws of the British Mandate will remain in force. On May 9, an announcement was made to the public that the first Hebrew stamps and seals would appear on May 16.
With the declaration of the state on May 14, the period of "People's Administration" came to an end.
Inside #601: Pseudo Stamps
Netanya's origins can be traced back to the year 1928 when a group of young people, the children of settlers from the Galilee, decided to establish a group of settlements along the coastal plain which would be devoted to citriculture. Their first step was to set up an urbo-agricultural settlement near the Arab. village of Urn Haled. The bloody disturbances which broke out just at that time, led them to have second thoughts, and in view of the political and security situation, they decided to modify the original plan and set up a purely urban settlement. Plans were drawn up for the founding of a town, and in 1936 the -first master plan was completed.
This master plan was based on an area of 10,000 dunams, comprising for the most part agricultural land which was already planted with citrus groves and taking in a narrow strip of sandy soil along the coast.
The influx of immigrants from Europe after the second world war and the transfer of the diamond industry from the Netherlands, added an industrial dimension to Netanya and steps were taken to enlarge the municipal area, at first to the east, by erecting an industrial park. Following the establishment of the State, the city expanded southwards at a pace which rapidly doubled and then trebled its original size.
Netanya has been blessed by nature with a delightful beach and the town quickly developed into an internationally-known holiday resort. The first holidaymakers to discover Netanya were the local Israeli population-particularly the Jerusalemites-but it was not long before Netanya's fame spread overseas, particularly to the countries of northern Europe whose inhabitants return year after year to spend part of the winter months away from their own harsh climate. As a result. Netanya developed into an all-the-year-round holiday resort and numerous hotels sprang up, mostly designed to cater to the tourist of average means. These were later complemented by several first-class luxury hotels. All manner of business enterprises, large and small, were founded in Netanya including such industrial branches as rubber, textiles, dyeing, metal and welding, pharmaceuticals, food and drink, etc. and a second industrial park is currently being developed to provide a fitting home for the diamond industry which made its first home in Netanya.
Plans have been drawn-up to establish a combined residential, commercial and administrative centre to the south of the city. This centre will reflect the importance of Netanya which has became the regional centre for the whole Sharon area. The stretch of land adjacent to the seashore will be converted into a broad strip of public parks in which will be sited hotels and entertainment facilities for tourists and inhabitants alike. Generous areas have been set aside for regional services such as medical and educational centres, municipal offices, museums, etc. There will also be exhibition grounds and a municipal sports arena capable of hosting national events. This southern area terminates an the far side of Nahal Poleg in the northern section of the planned National Park which will take in the Wingate Institute for Physical Education.
Special attention has been paid to the development of Netanyas beaches and a series of breakwaters have been constructed which protect the cliffs from erosion and have created a wide expanse of beaches for safe, all-the-year-round bathing in the waters of the Mediterranean. There arc also plans far a marina to accommodate small boats and this will give further encouragement to the development of sailing and boating along the length of Israel's Mediterranean coastline.
Netanya today boasts a population of some 100.000 and plays an Important role in absorbing new immigrants. The town is, in fact, one of the major centres of immigration from the prosperous and under-developed countries alike. There is a special magic about Netanya which attracts both immigrants and investors and convinces them that there can be no better place in which to make their home.
Haifa 1980 - National Stamps Exhibition
Inside: Pseudo Stamps
Inside #830a: Pseudo Stamp
Beer Sheva is mentioned in the Bible as the place where Abraham made a covenant with Abimelech, king of Philistia following a dispute between their servants over the rights to a well in the area: "And Abraham took sheep and oxen, and gave them to Abimelech, and they two made a covenant..., wherefore that place was called Beer Sheva, because there they swore, both of them.... and Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beer Sheva and called there on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God." (Genesis XXI: 27-33)
The planting of the tamarisk tree marks the transition from the life of a nomad to that of a tiller of the soil, living permanently in the shade of the tamarisk, while calling upon the Lord as "God Everlasting" marks Beer Sheva as the cradle of monotheism.
Beer Sheva was blessed with a supply of permanent wells; was situated at an important crossroad and was strategically important even in ancient times. During Biblical times Beer Sheva was the southernmost point of the Land of Israel, marking the limit of the cultivated area beyond which were to be found only nomadic tribes.
The beginnings of modern Beer Sheva go back to the end of the 19th century when the Turkish authorities set up an administrative center on the site of the water wells. They built the first four buildings - government house; a mosque; a regional school and the governor's residence. Among the first settlers of Beer Sheva were to be found a number of Jews who were particularly active in commerce and a Jewish "mukhtar" was appointed alongside the Moslem and Christian mukhtars.
In the year 1906 two Jewish families set up a flour mill in the town, the first mill in the desert apart from those in Gaza and Hevron. Within a short time, the site became the center of activity for the local Jewish community and a synagogue and mikve (Jewish ritual bath) were built to serve the 100 Jews living in the town.
During the first World War, Beer Sheva was an important military center which, at the same time became of increasing Jewish importance. The Jewish community was reinforced by the addition of Jewish soldiers stationed there and by laborers and craftsmen brought in to carry out vital construction projects such as the Turkish bridge over the Beer Sheva wadi and the railway bridges along the Sinai railway line.
The 1929 disturbances put an end to the Jewish community, and apart from one or two government clerks, not a Jew was to be found in the town until its liberation in the War of Independence.
With the establishment of the Jewish State, Beer Sheva was designated the capital of the south, the base from which the bare desert would be converted into a flourishing area.
One thing above all typifies Beer Sheva - its status as an immigrant town. The first immigrants to arrive were the refugees from the Cyprus detention camps, in 1949. They came to a deserted town and settled down alongside the demobilized soldiers who chose to set up home in this deserted place.
In February 1950 the Military Governor transferred responsibility for the town to a Town Council and in the same year immigrants from the four corners of the earth began to reach Beer Sheva. In the beginning, they were housed in transit camps - in tents and shacks which were at the mercy of the sandstorms and the burning desert wind. Gradually houses were constructed, workshops and factories established, an educational and cultural infrastructure created as each succeeding wave of immigration was absorbed with the help of its predecessors.
Today, Beer Sheva numbers some 1 30,000 souls and the town serves as an important economic center for the Dead Sea works of Sedom, the chemical plants of Rotem, the modern chemical complex of Ramat Hovev and the atomic energy research center near Dimona. The educational infrastructure ranges from kindergartens for 3-year olds, through elementary, vocational, secondary and technical schools to a teachers' training college and a school of physical education. The town boasts a University Hospital and Medical School and above all, the Ben-Gurion University. The links between Beer Sheva and the surrounding development towns are very close and the settlers of the Negev enjoy cultural events such as the theatre, music and art, but above all, Beer Sheva continues to play a leading role in absorbing new immigrants and integrating the varied communities.
Inside #942 (In margin): Emblem
Inside #951 (In margin): Pseudo Stamp
Ten years after the National Stamp Exhibition, "Netanya 76", another such exhibition - "Netanya 86" is to be organised by the Netanya Philatelic Society. The show - the 13th in the series of National Philatelic Exhibitions - will be held on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of organised philately in Netanya.
It started in 1936 when a number of stamp-lover immigrants from Germany decided to meet and create a "Collectors Club" where stamps could be exchanged. Later, in the 1940s and, after that, during the period leading up to the establishment of the State, interest in philately developed among the town's inhabitants.
When, on April 25th, 1948, during the period of "Minhelet Ha'am", the British Mandate authorities instructed all post office employees in the country to discontinue postal services to the public, the Jewish postal workers accepted the ruling of the Jewish Provisional Government and remained at their jobs. At all the small provincial post offices, Jewish National Fund labels, with the word "DOAR" (Post) printed on them, were used. Rubber hand-stamps bearing the Hebrew words "MINHELET HA'AM" (the country's provisional administration) and the name of the locality replaced the chancellors that had been withdrawn. (The large cities, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Yafo and Haifa were allowed to carry on until May 5th, 1948).
Philatelists all over the country hurried to have their letters cancelled - letters that were to be sent off as well as those which were meant to be mementos of the period when the first Jewish postal service - "after 2000 years" - was inaugurated. Immediately after the establishment of the State on May 16th, 1948, when the first regular stamp series could be bought at post office counters, the citizens of Netanya hastened to buy those cherished symbols of independence. Since then, philatelic activity in the town has never ceased.
By the combined efforts of the Netanya philatelists and with the assistance of the Ministry of Communications, a Collectors' Club for the town's stamp lovers was founded in 1976, the third such club in the country, after Tel Aviv and Haifa.
Nowadays, the Philatelic Society of Netanya is-proud to count among its members a number of young philatelists who have exhibited collections in Israel and other countries, some of them having earned fine prizes. At "Netanya 86" the participation of young collectors, some of whom will be showing their collection for the first time, will be emphasized. There must be no "generation gap" between philatelists. The map of the Holy Land by Gerard de Jode (Judaeus) of Antwerp, dating from 1578, is a fine example of 16th-century cartography. Like most contemporary maps it mainly shows places mentioned in the Holy Scriptures, but also some more recent names. A view of "modern" Jerusalem is incorporated. The map is directed towards the North-West, unlike the truly "oriented" mediaeval maps pointing to the East or modern maps directed towards the North. It was not yet based on survey measurements, a fact which is reflected by the indented coastline of the Mediterranean Sea and the shape of the Dead Sea. A note in the lower margin states that the map is based on the work of Tilemann Stelle.
Biblical birds II Owls
Inside #960 (In margin): Emblem of
The National Stamp Exhibition "Haifa 87" is being held on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the historic UN resolution of November 29th, 1947, on the partition of Palestine, which was the basis for the founding of the State of Israel, on May 14th, 1948.
The Haifa Philatelic Society is hosting the Exhibition, which is under the patronage of the Minister of Communications, the Mayor of Haifa and the Israel Stamp Collectors' Federation, during the week of Pessah (April 1987).
The Society was established in 1938. It is the most senior of the Philatelic Societies in Israel and has about 50 active members who meet regularly twice a week. The Society strives to widen the knowledge about philately by organising various activities among its members and collectors of all ages.
"HAIFA 87" is the fourth stamp exhibition held by tIie Haifa Philatelic Society. The others were TABA (1952), TABAI (1964) and HAIFA 80(1980). Each one of the these exhibitions was of the highest standard and enjoyed great popularity.
The Souvenir Sheet which is being issued to mark "HAIFA 87" depicts one of the lithographs by David Roberts HA, which shows a view of Haifa Bay seen from the Kishon Estuary about 150 years ago.
The Souvenir Sheet also contains an Israel postage stamp which was issued in 1952; it was designed by the late Otte Wallish.
This stamp, too, shows the bay of Haifa and Mt. Carmel.
Exploration of the Holy Land, 19th cent
Inside #978 (In margin): Emblem
The souvenir sheet depicts the map of Jordan River and Dead Sea.
There is an emblem of the National Stamp Exhibition in Jerusalem.
In the second half of the 19th century, the river Jordan, its sources, and the Dead Sea were still terra incognita. Although there is evidence of explorers who had rediscovered this region in previous generations, the unknown far exceeded the known.
The majority of visitors to the Jordan river were pilgrims who went down from Jerusalem to be baptised in its waters. With the rediscovery of the Holy Land in the 19th century, the first travellers and explorers turned their attention to the unknown areas of the land and made their way along its hypaths.
The pioneer explorer of the Jordan and Dead Sea basins at that time (1835) was a 25-year old Irishman, Christopher Costigan who brought his boat to the harbour of Akko (Acre) and took it overland to Tiberias. He tried to row in the Jordan as far as Bet Shean and from there had the boat carried on horseback to Jericho. For eight days he travelled the Dead Sea and got as far as the "tongue", when the excessive heat forced him to return to the northern shores of the Dead Sea, together with his Maltese assistant. Thirst compelled them to drink the hitter water of the Dead Sea. The Maltese reached Jericho, having left Costigan, who had contracted fever, on the sea-shore. He was later taken to Jerusalem, where he died and was buried on Mount Zion.
Twelve years later, in 1847, a British lieutenant, Thomas Howard Molyneux, came to discover the secrets of the Jordan and the depths of the Dead Sea. He arrived at Akko with three British friends and they transported their boat to Tiberias by camel and horse. They were joined by two local servants. Molyneux also tried to brave the Jordan falls but, having failed, followed its banks either having his boat carried by camels or rowing. After many hardships and clashes with unfriendly Bedouins, they reached the Dead Sea and sailed for two days until Molyneux came down with malaria. He died later aboard a ship that was taking him from Jaffa to Beirut.
One year later, in 1848, an expedition led by an American naval lieutenant, William Francis Lynch, came to explore the Jordan and the Dead Sea. He was accompanied by 13 men in two boats, one of iron and the other of copper; they came ashore at Haifa, where they were joined by four others. Their boats were carried on camelback through the lower Galilee to Tiberias. In a joint expedition of reconnaissance parties on land together with boats sailing the river, they reached the Dead Sea. Lynch's expedition charted maps of the Jordan and the Dead Sea.
During 1868-1869, John MacGregor, a Scotsman, sailed his canoe through the Suez Canal, along the Nile, the rivers of Damascus, the sources of the Jordan, Lake Hula, the Sea of Galilee and the Kishon river. He used a canoe because only such a boat could sail through the swamps and marshes. In the Hula valley, he was taken prisoner by Bedouins but managed to escape thanks to his courage and resourcefulness. He mapped Lake Hula and the Sea of Galilee. His canoe "Rob Roy", recently discovered in England, has been brought to the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv.
Independence 40 Stamp Exhibition, Jerusalem
Inside #986 (on Label): Emblem of the National Stamp Exhibition in Jerusalem.
As part of Israel's 40th anniversary celebrations, Jerusalem will play host to the National Stamp Exhibition, "INDEPENDENCE 40", which is to be held in the spacious halls of Binyanei Ha'uma Convention Centre, during April 1988.
Although it has been organised as a National Stamp Exhibition, about 90 well-known collectors from other countries are sending exhibits for the International Section, with collections on the subject "The Holy Land and Levant" as well as Judaica.
The Exhibition is under the patronage of the Minister of Communications and the Mayor of Jerusalem. It is being organised by the Jerusalem Philatelic Society under the auspices of the Israel Philatelic Federation and in close co-operation with the Postal Authority, Philatelic Service.
The Jerusalem Philatelic Society is also celebrating a special anniversary this year - its 50th - and can look back with pride at having successfully organised other exhibitions in Jerusalem in honour of earlier anniversaries of the State, such as "TABIRA" (1968) "TABIR" (1978) as well as the international one "JERUSALEM 73".
There are to be more than thirty dealers' booths where interesting philatelic material will be offered to collectors. The Postal Authority, Philatelic Service will be represented prominently by a special exhibit. During "INDEPENDENCE 40" a number of philatelic events and conventions are to take place in Jerusalem.
As is customary, each day of the Exhibition will be dedicated to a particular subject for which suitable special cancellation will be prepared; sample impressions of the cancellations are shown in the leaflet. The Exhibition is financed by the Israel Postal Authority.
The subject of the Souvenir Sheet and Stamp to be issued in honour of "INDEPENDENCE 40" is 'Buildings in modern Jerusalem". They depict the Jewish Agency Complex, the Generali Building, the Israel Museum, the YMCA, the Hebrew University Synagogue at Givat Ram, the Jerusalem Theatre, the new project at Gilo and the house of Dr Bunhem in Rehavia quarter of Jerusalem. Some of the buildings have been depicted on earlier Israel stamps.
Independence 40 Stamp Exhibition, Jerusalem
Inside #987 (In margin): Emblem of the National Stamp Exhibition in Jerusalem.
World Stamp Exhibition – Tel Aviv 13-21.5.1998O
Inside: Pseudo Stamps
40th Anniversary Exhibition
Tevel 89 - National stamp exhibition for youth philately
Inside #1033-4: Pseudo Stamp
Tevel 89 is a national stamp exhibition for youth, with participants from around the world. The Exhibition, organised by the Israel Philatelic Association and funded by the Israel Postal Authority, is being sponsored by the Ministry of Communications, the Ministry of Education and Culture and the Director-General of the Israel Postal Authority. It will take place in Bnai-Brith House during the intermediate days of the Festival of Succot (Tabernacles), 15-21 October 1989.
At the Exhibition, in addition to the stamp collections, there will be sales counter for the Philatelic Service of the Postal Authority, a post office counter providing postal services, as well as vending stalls, etc.
Young philatelists from the ages of 10 to 21 will exhibit at the Exhibition in the international and national sections. There will be 310 different categories in the Exhibition, and a very full display. A total of 120 young people will be exhibiting.
In the international section, there will be young philatelists representing 7 countries and the quality of the Exhibition is expected to be very high by current international standards
The Exhibition has a number of different purposes, but its main purpose is to create an awareness of philately as an exciting, educational hobby, which furthers aesthetic and moral values among the public in general, and among the future generation in particular.
1st Israeli Stamp Day
Inside #1033-4: Pseudo Stamp
It was the idea of the German collector, Hans Von Rudoiphi, to hold a "Stamp Day" which would take place every year on a specific date. The idea was first used by Austrian philatelists on 1 December 1935 at a special stamp exhibition dedicated to the Stamp Day. A month later, German philatelists also met to celebrate a Stamp Day, and thereafter a Stamp Day was organised every year in both these countries. Later, the idea of a "Stamp Day" was adopted by other countries and today Stamp Days take place, in one form or another, in about 50 countries.
Stamp collecting developed and grew in the years following the Second World War and became a popular hobby with thousands of enthusiasts. At the same time, the production of stamps took giant strides because of the immense technological advances in printing and the increasing interest of painters and graphic artists in stamp design.
However, the war years, and the economic crisis and inflation which followed undermined philatelist societies to the point where on the verge of chosing down it was than that the postal authorities stepped in to help. They had an interest in promoting philately, and in establishing new groups of collectors, from both an economic and an educational point of view.
In this way began the cooperation between philatelic associations and postal authorities, in bringing out special stamps for Stamp Days or for other philatelic occasions, such as exhibitions, as a way of raising the funds necessary to keep philatelic organisations going. For this purpose, Austria put out a stamp for Stamp Day on 3 December 1949, but she was preceded by Spain who put out the first ever "Stamp Day" stamp on 12 October 1944, and by Hungary on 21 December 1947. In 1974 West Germany published the first stamp commemorating the 40th anniversary of the first "Stamp Day".
With time, the style of the annual event has changed in some places and "Stamp Day" has been replaced by "Philately Day". Recently, countries such as Belgium, Portugal, San Marino, the Antilles, Salvador and others have published special stamps for their Philatelic Societies to encourage and promote philately, and most countries also bring out stamps for national and international stamp exhibitions.
The first Israel "Stamp Day" will take place on 17 October this year, during "Tevel 89", a national stamp exhibition for youth, which will have participants from around the world and will take place in Bnai Brith House in Tel-Aviv from 15-21 October. The Israel Stamp Association, together with the Postal Authority and the Philatelic Service, will continue to organise "Philatelly Day" every year and to bring out a special stamp to mark the occasion.
On the face of this year's stamp appears the insignia of the World Stamp Authority, the F.l.P. (Federation Internationale de Philatelie), which was founded in 1926 by the philatelic societies of 7 countries: Austria, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands, Czechoslovakia, France and Switzerland. The Israeli Association was accepted as a member of the organisation in 1946. Today, there are more than 60 countries who are members of the International Philatelic Federation. The insignia on the border is that of the Israeli Philatelic Association.
Inside #1041: Pseudo Stamp in Margin
Mordecai Ardon is one of the great painters of Israel. During mare than five decades he has produced a great number of paintings of a very specific style.
The themes of the stained glass windows which Ardon created for the National and University Library at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem are taken from Isaiah 2, 2-4: 'and many people shall go and say, come ye and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord".
The Windows can be seen as the masterpiece of this outstanding painter, as shown both in the idea itself and in its artistic content. The close connection between the subject of the Windows - Jerusalem - and their position in the library, the Hall of the eternal spirit of Jewishness and Humanism, is obvious. It was the artist himself who chose this place for his creation and it was the place itself which gave him inspiration.
In the left part of the Windows, one can see the roads on which the people of the world go up to Jerusalem. On each one of these roads is written the above quotation in different languages and letters. In the centre one can see Jerusalem, the Holy City with the city wall as mentioned in the Isaiah scroll, which was found among the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Above this wall is a piece of parchment and on it another quotation from the Book of Isaiah: "... and they shall beat their swords into plough-shares". Next to this there are blue circles intertwined with lines - the Cabbalistic "Tree of Spheres". Ta its left is another set at figures, a circle within a circle, this too, from the "Book of Zohar".
In the right part of the Windows, one can see an illustration at Isaiah's prophecy - broken guns and ammunition beaten into plough-shares, hovering above.
The Windows measure 16 x 6 meters and are among the largest stained glass windows known. The artist started work on them at the end of 1980. The assembling was carried out by the master-crattsman Charles Marc at the "Atelier Simon" in Rheims, France. The Windows were unveiled on April 1st, 1984, Mr. Ardan dedicating them to the memory of his late wife Miryam. The dedication appears in the lower left hand corner at the windows. Ardon's works are exhibited in the important museums of the world and in many private collections. The creation and installation of the Ardan Windows were made possible through the initiative, generosity and unstinting efforts of Zefira and Ephraim Ilin.
Inside #1067: Pseudo Stamp, Emblem
The National Stamp Exhibition, "Beer Sheva 90", is being held in the Yad Lebanim House in Beer Sheva from 5 - 12 October 1990, during the Festival of Sukkut.
The Exhibition is being organised by the Beer Sheva Philatelic Association, under the auspices of the Israel Philatelic Federation and is being funded and supported by the Israel Postal Authority and its Philatelic Service.
The Exhibition comprises some 450 frames: 150 of them are designed for young people, 150 are part of the countrywide exhibition, and 150 are part of the national Exhibition.
Computers, offering philatelic information, will be at the disposal of the young visitors, and in addition to this there will be a wireless station at the Exhibition for radio hams.
As at every stamp exhibition the Israel Postal Authority and the Philatelic Service will run their activities and beside the displays there will also be stalls of Israel stamp dealers.
The last National Stamp Exhibition to be held in Beer Sheva was in 1982. The present Exhibition continues to promote philately throughout the Negev.
Beer Sheva is one of the oldest cities in Israel. It had a special importance in Biblical times, and it is from the Bible that we learn how the town was given its name which means "the Well of the Oath". After a quarrel over wells between the shepherds of Abraham and Avimelech, they made a pact "wherefore he called that place Beer Sheva: because there they swore both of them" (Genesis 21, 31).
Beer Sheva has had its ups and downs. When John Hyrcanus conquered Edom, the city fell under the hegemony of the Hasmonean kingdom. After the destruction of the Second Temple the town became one of the central strongholds of the Roman border, defending the Empire from incursions of the Nabateans. The city was abandoned during the Arab period and remained uninhabited until the nineteenth century when the present-day city first came into being.
At that time the Turkish Sultan, Abed EI-Hammid II, decided to increase his activities in the outlying areas on the southern extremities of the Ottoman Empire. In the year 1900, he began to set up government buildings, a Mosque and a school. Already at that time a number of Jewish families had settled in the town and established a flour mill and were involved in trading. During the period of the British Mandate, the development of the town was halted and it became a small provincial town on the fringe of the settled area of Palestine.
In 1948, the city was taken by the Negev Brigade, and since that time it has enjoyed continual development and serves as the capital of the southern part of the State of Israel.
On the souvenir sheet that the Philatelic Service has put out for the Exhibition, appear various institutions of present-day Beer Sheva, and on the stamp itself - a sketch of Abraham's Well that was drawn according to a copper engraving from the 17th Century. In the centre of the sheet is a sketch of "Yad Lebanim" House and around it, anti-clockwise, starting with the Beer Sheva City Hall building (right, above the stamp) are: the Negev Brigade Monument (top right); the Soroka Hospital (top left); the City Conservatory (left); a Synagogue; and a sketch of Beer Sheva Museum (bottom left).
Special Occasions Type of 1989
Inside #1074: Pseudo Stamp
Postal and Philatelic Museum, Tel Aviv
Inside #1088: Israel #5P
Inside #1088: Palestine #70P
Inside #1088: Turkey #133P
Inside #1088 (In margin):
Inside #1088 (In margin): Israel #1-9P
Inside #1088 (in margin): Stamp of KKL - 1948 overprint "DOAR" (MAIL)
Inside #1088 (in margin): Palestine #64P
Inside #1088 (in margin):
Inside #1088 (in margin): Postcard -TBI, Turkish stamp (Turkey #133)
The Postal history of Eretz Israel
Eretz Israel was conquered by the Ottoman Turks in the 16th century. With the decline of the Turkish Empire, and particularly in the 19th century, the number of European inhabitants in Eretz Israel grew and the European powers - Russia, Austria, Italy, France and Great Britain - competed with each other to increase their influence on the Sultan's regime.
The European powers finally signed the Capitulations Agreement with Turkey which granted foreign nationals the right to set up their own Representative Offices in the country. As a consequence of this Agreement there was an expansion of the postal services and the various Offices were permitted to organize their own overseas postal services - the Consular Post.
It seems that the first postal cancellation effected by one of these foreign postal services was that of the French Postal Agency in Jaffa in 1852. In 1854 the Austrians opened a Post Office in Jerusalem, to be followed by offices in Jaffa and Haifa. Russia opened its Post Office in 1861, Germany in 1898 and Italy in 1908. The success of these Consular Posts persuaded the Turkish authorities to establish their own postal services, and the first Turkish Post Office was opened in Shechem (Nablus) in 1865. The quality of the Turkish Postal Service was very poor. The mail to most destinations was conveyed on the backs of camels or donkeys - very little went by carriage. On more than one occasion, the post offices ran out of stamps and it took quite a time until new supplies were received. In spite of this, the Turkish authorities continued to compete with the Consular Post and opened additional post offices in Rishon Leziyyon (1904), Rehovot and Petah Tikva (1910), and Zichron Yaakov (1912). They even sold stamps intended for overseas mail at half the price fixed by the Universal Postal Union.
One month after the outbreak of the First World War, all the Consular Post Offices were closed down. Very little use was made of the civilian postal services during the war, and postal connections with abroad came to a virtual standstill.
During the period of British, rule, first as a military occupation in 1918, and later under a League of Nations mandate (1920-1948), the local population used the Mandate postal services. In a very few cases, the Jews set up their own postal services - the settlements in the Negev maintained contact with the Jewish authorities by using pigeons and the resistance movement had its own communications services.
In April 1948, the British Mandate authorities planned to suspend all postal services in the country and all the post offices were due to be closed. However, the Minhelet Ha-Am - the State on the Way - got to know about this closure order which would have dealt a serious blow to the country's foreign postal communications, and all Jewish postal workers were ordered to remain at work.
When the British left, the post offices continued to sell the Mandate stamps for a time. JNF labels were also used, as were the "Kofer Ha-Yishuv" stamps which had been issued by the Hagana during the riots. The Minhelet Ha-Am was anxious to print Hebrew stamps, but when it became apparent that there was insufficient time for this, they authorised the use of various JNF labels which were overprinted with the word "DOAR" POST.
These Minhelet Ha-Am stamps were in use for only a short time - from the beginning of May until the day of the Declaration of the State - two days later, the "Doar lvri" stamps were issued. It was only in the besieged towns and settlements that people continued to use the JNF labels until supplies of the Doar lvri stamps arrived.
Some besieged towns even issued their own stamps as a temporary measure.
The Postal and Philatelic Museum
On looking at all those multifarious items which come under the heading of "mail", we find ourselves coming into contact with, among other things, the daily life of the people who once inhabited Eretz Israel. Historical events, such as the break-up of the Turkish Empire, are illustrated by the peregrinations of a letter, or by the changes in a postmark. The establishment of the Postal and Philatelic Museum provides us, therefore, with a window through which we can gaze upon the history of Eretz Israel. This museum will house objects illustrating written communications between Man and his neighbour, with particular emphasis on the Land of Israel. On display there will be mail and stamps from various periods including the period of Turkish rule, that of the Consular Post, the British Mandate and the Minhelef Ha-Am. Stamps on the theme of Judaica from all over the world and stamps from the period of the Holocaust will also be exhibited. There will be a prominent display of all the stamps and postmarks of the Israel Postal Service. Explanations of the subjects portrayed on the stamps will also be provided, so that the spectator can understand the concise "language" of the stamp.
The procedures involved in preparing stamps will be explained, too, and the Museum is to have a collection of documents concerned with the planning and production of new stamps; minutes of the Stamp Design Committee, documents from the Ministerial Committee on Ceremonies and Symbols, etc. Printing plates, designs and photographs which will reveal to the visitor the "secrets" of the stamp planning and production process will also be on display.
The museum will give expression to all aspects of postal and philatelic activity - the printing of stamps; the uniforms of the postal couriers; postal coaches and motor vehicles, and objects portrayed on Israel's stamps.
The museum's objective is to become a busy institution which will not only meet the expectations of confirmed philatelists, but will also arouse the interest of young people and the general public. The museum library will provide a source for the furthering and widening of research into the various aspects of Holy Land postal history and philately.
The museum is being built on the campus of the Tel Aviv "Eretz Israel" Museum.
Imperf s/s - raise funds for the Museum
(Thanks to Lou for the scan)
Haifa ’91, Israeli-Polish Philatelic Exhibition
Inside #1094: Pseudo Stamp, Emblem
1991 was the third year that Israel issued a Philately Day stamp. The revenues from the stamp's sales were earmarked for the Philately Promotion Foundation. The Foundation was established by the Postal Authority in conjunction with the Israeli Philatelic Federation in accordance with a recommendation of the International Federation of Philately and the Universal Postal Union. The Foundation intends to support various activities that will assist in enlarging the numbers of people engaged in the hobby of philately, one of the most enjoyable, cultural and varied hobbies for all ages.
The thematic philatelist will include the Philately Day stamp with his collection of "Stamps on Stamps" or "Coins on Stamps". A collector specialising in "The History of Israel on Stamps" will find a special significance in the coin depicted on the five mil stamp from the Doar lvri set. This is a bronze coin from the First Revolt period, bearing the words "Freedom of Zion". Through this stamp, the thematic collector can relate the story of the First Revolt on the pages of his collection.
Moreover, this stamp bears direct reference to the saga of the establishment of the modern State of Israel. During the stormy months of early 1048, before a name had finally been given for the new State, it was decided to print its first stamps with a neutral name - "Doar Ivri" - Hebrew Post. The traditional philatelist will certainly attempt to identify "the stamp", which is shown on this stamp. Was it printed from the first plate or possibly from the second plate? The first printings of the Doar Ivri stamps were done under difficult technical and 'underground' conditions. The results of these conditions are recognisable in the types of paper, the printing on the tabs, the printing letters which were reset time and time again and the different perforating machines which were used. The five mil stamp was printed on four different types of paper, more than 40 tab varieties can be found and there are many perforation varieties. The research continues, bringing much enjoyment to the many Doar Ivri collectors around the world. The postal history philatelist is interested primarily in the direct postal usages of the stamp. He would want to include in his collection a cover bearing only a fine mil stamp - and this is not simple, since it was principally intended for printed matter sent abroad by sea. Furthermore, this philatelist will attempt, insofar as possible, to expand a collection of envelopes bearing this stamp. He will also try to find covers with postmarks dated as close as possible to 16th May 1948, the day on which 80 post offices of the new State began operating, each having its own distinct postmark.
On 16th May 1948 the Doar Ivri stamps did not reach besieged cities such as Jerusalem and Nahariya. The philatelist will try to locate the first envelopes bearing the Doar Ivri stamp that were sent from these cities.
The 1991 Philately Day stamp thus unfurls the story of our distant past, the First Revolt, and our recent past, the establishment of the State of Israel. The stamp also demonstrates the development of a special branch of art - the art of stamp design. The collage technique and selection of the pastel colours used as background for the original stamp create an attractive and unique combination of the styles of the different years.
Inside #1129 (on Label): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
Scott: #1152 - See after #1254
Telafila ’93, Israel-Romania Philatelic Exhibition
Inside #1178 (in margin): Pseudo Stamp in logo
Computerization of Post Offices
Inside #1220 (on Label): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
3000th Anniversary to Jerusalem
Inside #1178 (in margin): Pseudo Stamp in logo
China ’96, 9th Asian Intl. Philatelic Exhibition
Inside #1152 (in margin): Pseudo Stamp in logo
Hong Kong ’97
Inside #1196 (in margin): Pseudo Stamp in logo
The Souvenir Sheet, issued in honour of the 150 year anniversary of the birth of Thomas Alva Edison and Alexander Graham Bell, is dedicated to the Asian International Stamp Exhibition to be held in Hong Kong in 1997.
The stamp on the right hand side shows Alexander Graham Bell dedicating the New York - Chicago telephone line in 1892. The stamp on the left hand side shows Thomas Alva Edison in his laboratory with a light bulb.
The background of the sheet shows a photograph of Hong Kong by night (photo by Gidi Marinsky), together with an electric pole, developed in Israel.
The lower right corner of the sheet shows the logo of the Hong Kong '97 Exhibition. The upper left corner of the sheet shows the logo of the Israel World Stamp Exhibition '98.
100 years since the discovery of the Cairo Geniza / 50 years since the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls
Inside #1306 (in margin): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
Inside #1324 (on Label): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
War of Independence 1947-9
Inside #1328 (in margin): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
Inside #1335 (on Labels): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
No. 1335 contains diagonal perforations so that lower left corner of each stamp can be removed leaving denominated portion in shape of a pentagon.
Postal and Philatelic Museum
Inside #1336b: Pseudo Stamp
Inside #1336 (In Margin): An envelope from 1910 with KKL (Jewish National Fund) Label Used as Postage Stamp
the left is the postage stamp issued in
stamp was issued at the initiative of Isaac Goldanhiars, rising from Romania.
Goldanhiars, together with the Austrian post office manager in Jaffa
wanted to establish a new post office in Petach Tikva. Goldanhiars demanded
that the the Austrian Consulate will issue a uniqe stamp for the new
post office, which will serve for international mail and domestic
mail. At the end of 1908 the Austrian Consulate issued this stamp,
designed by an unknown artist.
Compared with the design technology of the time, the stamp design is very colorful. His head flew Petah Tikva city name in Hebrew letters illuminating yellow, the price premium was shown at the bottom - 14 Farrah (an ancient coin that served as the Ottoman Empire).
The second stamps is a KKL stamp of Max Nordau (KKL is the Jewish National Fund). From 1902 until the late 1940s, KKL sold KKL stamps to raise money. For a brief period in the beging of the 20th centery Austrian post in Israel consider them as local stamps and for a brief period in May 1948, KKL stamps were used as postage stamps during the transition from Palestine to Israel.
The original envelope include an Austrian stamp as well and was send to Vienna, November 12, 1910. The letter was sent through the Austrian post office in Petah Tikva.
All stamped with the bilingual stamp "Petach Tikva / Austrian Post" with a large Star of David in the center.
On the back is a stamp of arrival in Vienna, November 1910. http://www.collect.co.il/content.aspx?id=421
Aircraft Used in War of Independence 1948
Inside #1339a (on Labels): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
No. 1339a was issued in sheets containing 2 strips printed tete beche separated by strip of three labels.
Mosaic of a Young Woman, Zippori
Inside #1340 (in margin): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
King Solomon’s Temple
Inside #1341 (in margin): Emblem with Pseudo Stamp
Philately Day – Stamps Collecting
Israel's entry into the philatelic world involved feverish preparations which began clandestinely a few weeks before the State was declared. In April 1948 the British, about to relinquish the Mandate over Eretz Israel, severed all postal services. The Jewish authorities began hurried preparations for printing stamps for the nascent State. The problems seemed overwhelming. Gummed paper was all but nonexistent. Where were the suitable printing presses and perforating machines to be found? How were the stamps to be inscribed? There was as yet no decision, as to the name of the new State. Was it to be Judah, Eretz Israel or Israel? Eventually a letter press was found and sufficient paper of a variety of shades and thicknesses was collected.
Less than forty-eight hours after the declaration of the Independent State of Israel which took place on Friday, May 14, 1948, enemy planes had launched their first attack and Israel had issued her first postage stamps - Israel's first stamps, the now famous and coveted Doar Ivri (Hebrew Post) series, were available at all post offices in the country.
Since 1948 Israel has issued many stamps: these include regular (definitive) issues, airmails and commemoratives. Some of the earlier stamps have already attained the status of classics and are prized by collectors throughout the world.
The stamp issued this year to mark Philately Day shows an illustration by artist Michel Kichka portraying a "Philately Family" with a stamp of the "Doar Ivri" series.On the stamp tab are the emblem of the Israel Philatelic Federation and the emblem of the F.I.P. (Federation International de Philatelic), of which Israel is a member.
Inside #1439: Pseudo Stamp in logo
Jerusalem 2001 – Multinational Exhibition
Inside #1440: Pseudo Stamp in logo
Belgica 2001 Intl. Stamp Exhibition, Brussels
Inside #1445: Pseudo Stamp in logo
Phila Nippon 2001, Japan
Inside #1451: Pseudo Stamp in logo
Philately Day – The First Israeli Astronaut
Inside #1458: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Philately Day – Children’s Games
Inside #????-?: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Inside #????-?: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Philately Day - Children on Wheels
Inside #1546a-d: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Design your Stamp
Inside #1580: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Philately Day - Mailboxes
Inside #1582-4: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Colorful decorated mailboxes could be found in Jerusalem and Jaffa at the beginning of the 20th century. These were the first mailboxes of Eretz Israel that were installed by the consular post offices, which were in operation since the second half of the 19th century.
Foreign consular representation in Eretz Israel was part of the Capitulations agreements - rights granted to foreign citizens, including Jews, who lived under the Ottoman rule. Those rights enabled the use of foreign postal services.
Until then, the Ottoman postal services operated by means of couriers between Jerusalem and Beirut. It was only when the first steam ships docked in the ports of Eretz Israel, and shipping companies introduced the first overseas postal services, that France, Austria, Germany, Russia and Italy offered independent postal services in Eretz Israel.
The official visit to Eretz Israel of the German Kaiser, William 11 and his wife Augusta Victoria, in the autumn of 1898, marked the beginning of the German postal services in the country.
The German postal activities involved precise organization paying attention to improved service to the customer. In order to fulfill this objective the Germans installed the first mailboxes in Eretz Israel. The mailboxes were blue and decorated with a gold colored letter slot. They were placed outside post offices, businesses and at collection points along the carriage route between Jaffa and Jerusalem.
In 1902 the Austrian postal services followed the Germans and placed yellow mailboxes around the country and postmen began to deliver mail. The Turkish post also had mailboxes, which were simpler in a reddish brown color.
With the outbreak of the First World War the consular offices under the Ottoman administration were closed and on 30 September 1914 foreign postal services in Eretz Israel ceased.
In December 1914 Eretz Israel was taken over by the British thus ending four hundred years of Turkish rule in the country. During the British Mandate impressive post offices were built in Jerusalem, Yaffo and in other cities. The mail was transported by train and other vehicles within Eretz Israel and by land, sea and air to other countries.
Mailboxes during the British Mandate were exact copies of the mailboxes used in Britain - bright red in color and decorated with the monarchy's emblem.
Since the establishment of the state, the design of the mailboxes has been changed but they are always red.
When the Israel Postal Authority was established, yellow mailboxes were placed next to the red ones in order to facilitate the sorting process. The yellow mailboxes were for local mail only and therefore eliminated part of the sorting. Sorting methods however have now been greatly improved so that since the second half of 2004 the yellow mailboxes are no longer in use.
A display of historic and modem mailboxes are part of the permanent exhibit at the Israel Postal and Philatelic Museum, which is situated in the Eretz Israel Museum, Tel Aviv.
Inside #1620 (In margin): Pseudo Stamp
Scott: #1656 (B)
100th Anniversary of Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design
Inside #1656: Palestine #78P
The Bezalel Academy of Arts and Design Centennial
In 1903, Prof. Boris Schatz (1866-1932), one of the founders of the Royal Academy of Art in Sofia, Bulgaria, inspired Dr. Theodor Herzl, the visionary leader of the Zionist movement, to establish a school of art and craft in Eretz Israel. The Seventh Zionist Congress, convening in 1905, moved to establish "Bezalel," and in 1906 the institution, located in Jerusalem, was inaugurated by Prof. Schatz. A distinguished artist and sculptor in his own right, Boris Schatz directed Bezalel until 1929.
The institution was named for the biblical Bezalel, son of Uri, son of Hur, builder of the Ark of the Covenant and its vessels, and the first artisan mentioned in the Bible (Exodus 31:1-5, 35:30-33).
One of Bezalel's stated goals at its founding was: "Arriving at a visual representation of the longed-for spiritual and national independence – independence that seeks to create a synthesis between the European artistic tradition and the Jewish tradition of design in the east and in the west, and to blend it with the local culture of the Land of Israel."
The world has experienced vicissitudes in the hundred years that have passed since then, but Prof. Schatz's vision appears to have withstood the test of time. Not only cultural changes, dramatic events, crises and wars, but great technological changes have left their mark on the nature of the world of art and on Bezalel.
Today, Bezalel is an academic institution with a student body of 1,500 pursuing studies in art, design and architecture for bachelor's and master's degrees in nine departments. Bezalel is at the center of the cultural discourse on artistic endeavor in the State of Israel, and plays a decisive role in shaping its cultural identity.
The stamp was chosen from dozens of works by students in the Visual Communication Department at Bezalel. It reflects the design style of stamps in the pre-State and early period of statehood, and of the early designers who pioneered this art form. The stamp shows a man and a tool in movement suggesting work on the land, symbolizing the creative artistic process that blends tradition and knowledge with pioneering and innovation. This is the first time that the Philatelic Service has issued a sheet of stamps containing three color variations for the same stamp.
Philately Day - Fashion in Eretz Israel
Inside #1661-4 (on Tab): Pseudo Stamp
"My Own Stamp" — Blue and White
Inside #1692 (on tab -personaliezed): Pseudo Stamp on tab
Philately Day - Cinemas in Eretz-Israel
Inside #1703-4 (on Tab): Pseudo Stamp
Inside #1750: Israel #3P
Inside #1751: Israel #5P
postal ties of 1948 are reminiscent of those that existed some 100 years
earlier. On July 10, 1852 the French Postal ship Tancr?de arrived in Jaffa and
on that same day the first post office was opened by postal agent named Antonie
Louis santelli, who also initiated and founded a branch of the French post in
Jerusalem. These were the first and only post offices in the area at that time.
In 1906 an additional French Post office was opened in
June 9, 1948 an Air France DC3 airplane, registration number F.BAXK, landed
stamps commemorate the 60th anniversary of that first flight to
Philately Day - Ancient Letters
Inside #1755-7 (on Tab): Pseudo Stamp
Inside #1798-1800: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Children's Books, London 2010
Inside #1816: Pseudo Stamp (Logo)
Israel Post Visitor Center
Inside #???? (on label): Pseudo Stamp
Inside #???? (in margin): TBI
Philately Day - Cinemas in Eretz-Israel
Inside #1839-40: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Philately Day - The Valley Railway
Inside #1909: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Philately Day - Energy resources in Israel
Inside #1958: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Postal Vehicles in Eretz lsrael
Inside #1980: Pseudo Stamp on envelop
Inside #1980 (in margin): Air mail label
Israeli Music - Children's Songs
Inside #1988l: Stamp on envelop - Self SOS
Philately Day - International Year of Crystallography 2014
Inside #1993: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Philately Day - Sundials in Eretz Israel
Inside #2040-2: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
Philately Day - The Mamluk Postal Road
Inside #2086: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
The Postal Road established by the Mamluk Empire in Eretz Israel (1260-1516) ran from the capital in Cairo to the capital of the north -Damascus and other important centers. This main route and its branches served as a means of passing news between the outlying areas of the Empire and the capital.
The road from Egypt, which passed through the northern Sinai Desert, forked into two branches in Gaza - one toward Karak in Jordan via Beit Guvrin and Hebron and the other toward Damascus via Jitin (Ge'a), Qatra (Gedera), Ludd, Jinin, Baysan (Belt She'an), etc.
The Mamluk postal network was based on three components: equestrian post, homing pigeons and fire/smoke signals. This system was called Barid. The land Barid utilized fast horses whose sole purpose was to transport messages from the Sultan in Cairo. The messengers who rode these horses were selected from among those closest to the ruler.
The fourth Mamluk Sultan, al-Zahir Baybars alBunduqdarl (1260-1277), who established the Mamluk Empire, reintroduced the Barid and incorporated it into his military structure. The peak of the Barid was during the third reign of al-Nasir Muhammad ibn Qalawun (1310-1341).
This postal system was based on stations positioned at regular intervals along the route where messengers were able to obtain fresh horses. Approaching messengers were recognized by station personnel based on identifying marks such as a yellow silk scarf tied to the messenger's neck, a large silver medallion hanging from the messenger's neck or a horse with a tied tail - and were met with a fresh horse so they could continue immediately on their journey. It took no more than four days for the post to reach Damascus from Cairo.
In order to minimize the obstacles en route, Baybars built and repaired bridges. This Sultan's hallmark - the lion/cheetah - appears on many of his buildings (and also on the stamp) and it decorated at least two of the bridges that he built: one near Carlo and the other the Gandas Bridge near Lod which was one of the main stations along the Barid.
The Mamluk Postal Road left its impression on Eretz Israel and a number of impressive ruins from that network attest to its importance as a key land bridge among various countries.
Philately Day - Submarines in Israel
Inside #????-?: Pseudo Stamp on Tab
International Mail from the Land of Israel
Inside #????: Iraq #2P (1923)
Inside #????: Iraq #8O (1923)
Inside #????: Cyprus #97O (1924 2 Piastres)
Inside #????: Cyprus #93O (1925 3/4 Piastres)
Inside #????: Cyprus #72O (1921 - 10 para)
The post of Israel issued a series of stamps on international mail from the Land of Israel. An interesting combination of history of the post, geopolitics, transportation, view of Israel and other relates elements. It is more about mail in the Middle East - an area that was a remote desert than on mail from the Land of Israel itself, but nevertheless, it is a very interesting stamps series and most important it is a Stamps on Stamps series.
International mail from the Land of Israel, Issued: 28.3.2023
Immediately after the publication of the stamps and after a quick identification of the stamps, a discussion began among the members of the club regarding the design of the stamps and the choice, which at first glance seems unnatural, of the envelopes that are not actually mailed from the Land of Israel.
I sent the questions from our discussion to the designer of the stamp Mr. Zvika Roitman, who directed the questions to Israel Post. Within few days, I received an in-depth, comprehensive answer from Mr. Moshe Rimer who is the treasurer of the collection of the late Alexander Zvi, kept in the Alexander Museum of Postal and Stamp History in Tel Aviv. https://www.eretzmuseum.org.il/e/122/
Mr. Rimer was also kind enough to send me copies of the envelopes used to design the stamps and they are shown here courtesy of the Alexander Collection.
Here is a free translation of Mr. Rimer's extensive answer to the questions that came up in the discussion among the club members as well as additional information about the thoughts behind the spectacular design of the stamps in the series.
International mail from the Land of Israel
In the period to which the first stamp in the series refers, the one dealing with the development of maritime mail relations, the Land of Israel was nothing more than a remote and insignificant province of the vast Ottoman Empire. Even during the British Mandate period, in which the other two stamps in the series are anchored, the Land of Israel (despite its official definition as a separate entity called Palestine) was part of a much larger territorial unit that stretched from Egypt in the west, through Mesopotamia to India and Australia in the Far East. The development of international postal relations was made out of a system of considerations that went beyond the limits of the limited Land of Israel, and was largely derived from the imperial system of considerations of Great Britain.
The choice of the envelopes that were incorporated into the stamps of the series was made with deep thought on the way in which they illustrate the position of the Land of Israel as an international crossroads. With the exception of the first envelope, which was sent from Jerusalem, the two envelopes from the British era were not sent from the Land of Israel, nor were they sent to the Land of Israel as a final address, but passed through the Land of Israel as part of the global routing system. The envelopes were carefully selected from the huge variety kept in the collection of the late Alexander Zvi, which was deposited by him in the Alexander Museum of Postal History and Stamps in Tel Aviv. Also the landscape postcards integrated into the design of the stamps, which describe the points of the settlement in which the international postal services operated, originating from the collection of the late Alexander Zvi.
Envelope from Jerusalem to France (1853)
The publication is made with the permission of the collection of the late Alexander Zvi,
kept in the Alexander Museum of Postal and Stamp History in Tel Aviv
The first stamp in the series focuses on the mid-fifties of the nineteenth century, a period in which the shipping companies of Austria, France and Russia began to visit the ports of Israel as part of the regular shipping lines that left the mother countries and sailed to the eastern Mediterranean. This is in the pre-stamp era, so the folded letter chosen for presentation on the Israeli stamp has no postage stamps. The folded letter was sent on August 14, 1853 at the French post office in Jerusalem, and was transferred to the French post office in Jaffa, where it was stamped
The rare stamp of this post office. The letter was routed through the port of Beirut and arrived at the port of Marseille in France on September 6, 1853.
In addition, a stamp of the Austrian Post Office in Jaffa was incorporated into the stamp's back and a photo of the Russian mail ship "Chihachov" which ran aground on the Jaffa coast was incorporated into the center of the stamp.
Envelope from the First Overland Mail Bagdad – Haifa (1923)
The publication is made with the permission of the collection of the late Alexander Zvi,
kept in the Alexander Museum of Postal and Stamp History in Tel Aviv
Iraq Scott #2 (1923)
Iraq Scott #8 (1923)
The second stamp deals with the development of a unique land mail line, initiated by the brothers Norman and Gerald Nairn. The two brothers arrived in Israel as part of the British army in the First World War, and decided to settle there. They were engaged in the development of land transportation lines based on cars, which were a modern and less known means of transportation at that time. In 1921 they established a daily mail, cargo and passenger transport service from Haifa to Beirut, and in light of the success of the service they decided to expand it and establish a transportation line that would cross the arid and dangerous Syrian desert, and lead from Haifa (the terminus of the railway line from Egypt) through Beirut and Damascus to Baghdad (the terminus of lines the shipping that led along the rivers of Mesopotamia and the Persian Gulf to India).
The development of the transportation line involved a long series of difficulties of various kinds, starting with the signing of political agreements between the authorities of the British Mandate (which controlled the Land of Israel and Iraq) and between the authorities of the French Mandate (which controlled Lebanon and Syria), through the signing of agreements with the Bedouin tribes who collected patronage fees in the territories of the Syrian desert, And including technical problems of navigation and supplies along the long deserted road.
On August 30, 1923, a special trip left Baghdad for Haifa that was intended to be used as proof of the applicability of the continental mail line to the postal authorities, and based on the success of this trip, the official contract was signed on October 18, 1923 between the British Post Office and the company of the Nairn brothers. Letters from this trip are extremely rare, and for the purpose of presentation on the Israeli stamp, a registered letter sent on this test trip from Baghdad to Haifa, and intended for an address in England, was chosen. Two Iraqi stamps with a total face value of 9 Annas were affixed to the envelope (3 Annas for sending a regular letter from Iraq to England + 3 Annas for the registration fee of the letter + 3 Annas for the additional payment for the special service of the mainland mail).
I repeat and emphasize that the letter was not sent from Iraq to Israel, but from Iraq to Britain, and the Land of Israel was only a transit station that served as the terminus of the overland mail Haifa - Baghdad. The complete line of mail delivery included departure from Baghdad by land mail to Haifa, loading the mail on the railway line to Egypt, and from there by ship on one of the routes to Southern Europe (mostly France or Italy), from there by train to the ports of the Lemanche Canal, from there by ferry to Britain and from there by train to London.
Envelope from the First Flight Cyprus to India (1932)
The publication is made with the permission of the collection of the late Alexander Zvi,
kept in the Alexander Museum of Postal and Stamp History in Tel Aviv
Cyprus Scott #97 (1924 2 Piastres)
Cyprus Scott #93 (1925 3/4 Piastre)
Cyprus Scott #72 (1921 - 10 para)
The development of air traffic lines in the 1920s and 1930s involved very difficult problems, both technical problems that arose from the limited capabilities of the planes in those days and political problems that arose from the need to sign appropriate agreements with the various political authorities through which the air route passed. The location of the Land of Israel placed it as a key point on the long way from Britain to the Far East, and especially to India and Australia. Over the years, various sites in the Land of Israel, such as Gaza, Lod, Haifa and Tiberias, have been used as transition points for the landing and routing of cargo and passengers. On the Israeli stamp, it was decided to show as an example one of the routes along the line between Great Britain and India, the one that connected Cyprus and Tiberias. This line operated for a short period only, and was canceled due to lack of economic viability. There are very few items of mail sent in this line, and one of them is preserved in the Alexander collection and is shown on the Israeli stamp. It is important to remember that the modern concept that we are used to today, according to which a passenger on an airline from Britain to India boards a plane in London and does not get up from his seat until he lands in Mumbai or New Delhi, did not exist in the early 1930s. The air route from Great Britain to India included a complex mix of a variety of means of transportation (trains, ships and planes) which was constantly changing, while being influenced by political decisions, technological development, and even weather conditions. The full route was made up of sections, some of which were made by air, such as the one made by seaplane from Cyprus to Tiberias.
The Short S.8 Calcutta airship left Limassol and landed in the Sea of Galilee near Tiberias.
The letter appearing on the stamp was sent from Cyprus to Cairo, Egypt. The sender had the option of choosing the sea route, and sending the letter by ship from Cyprus to Alexandria and from there to Cairo. He preferred to send it by the new air route that had just been inaugurated, so the letter was flown to Tiberias, from there it was transported by car to Haifa, and continued by train to Alexandria and from there to Cairo. The air route (including the land part of it) was faster than sailing by ship, and justified the extra payment.
The back of Envelope from the First Flight Cyprus to India
The row of stamps stamped on the back of the letter document
the route after landing in the Sea of Galilee: Haifa, Alexandria, Cairo
The publication is made with the permission of the collection of the late Alexander Zvi,
kept in the Alexander Museum of Postal and Stamp History in Tel Aviv
I am attaching the questions forwarded by the club members and Mr. Rimmer's answers:
Q: Why was a letter sent from Iraq to Israel (land mail) chosen instead of a letter sent from Israel on the stamp intended to show the international mail from the Land of Israel?
A: Because this is an envelope that participated in the proof-of-capacity campaign that formed the infrastructure for the establishment of the overland mail on the Baghdad-Haifa line.
Q: Why does the airmail stamp indicate the first flight from Cyprus to India by Imperial Airways in 1932?
A: This is an example of a route change within the full line from the UK to India. This is a relatively rare route that operated for a short time and landed in an unusual site on the Sea of Galilee in front of Tiberias. The inauguration of this line shifted the landing point in Israel from Haifa to Tiberias.
Q: The same stamp shows a letter originating in Cyprus but destined for Egypt (air mail), is there a reason for this?
A: The letter that was sorted in Tiberias and transported to Egypt illustrates the position of the Land of Israel as a mail routing point along the route. The sea mail letter describes a letter that left the Land of Israel, the land mail letter shows a letter that passed through the Land of Israel without local handling, and the air mail completes the picture with an example of a mail item in transit that was handled and sorted through the Land of Israel as part of an international route.
Q: Why were stamps used by the Hebrew settlement in the Land of Israel not incorporated into the design?
A: I repeat and emphasize that the purpose was to illustrate the historical role of the Land of Israel as a land of transit, and therefore there was no place to select letters that originated in the Land of Israel or were destined for the Land of Israel and were fined with local postage stamps. This is the reason why there is no representation of the stamps of Palestine (AI) in the envelopes. By the way, envelopes originating from the Land of Israel are also very rare in the land mail letters, and most of the mail that was handled by the land mail was part of international traffic that only passed through the Land of Israel.
Since ancient times, and throughout recorded history, the Land of Israel has been a focal point for extensive international movement between the regional and world powers. The trade caravans between Mesopotamia and Egypt in the ancient East, the Nabatean caravans that carried valuable goods to the Roman Empire, the extensive trade from the Far East during the Crusader period, and the oil lines from Iraq to Haifa during the British period - all these reached the ports of the Land of Israel and from there to Europe. The Arab boycott of the State of Israel interrupted this historical sequence, but did not cancel the natural status of the Land of Israel as a crossroads between the three continents of the ancient world. The peace agreements that have been signed in recent years reveal the historical status of the Land of Israel, and it suffices to examine the volume of goods unloaded in recent years at the port of Haifa and sent through them in hundreds of trucks to the border crossings to Jordan and from there to the rest of the Arab world.
The series of stamps denoting the international mail from the Land of Israel is intended to illustrate the historical role of the Land of Israel, and the items from the past that illustrate this reflect hope for a future of peace, in which the Land of Israel will return to its natural position as a crossroads of international trade and roads.
Best website related:
New Philatelic Issues
KKL Stamps Catalogue (Hebrew only)
Touring Stamp Exhibition -1950
Issued: 13.09.2011 Children's Games